Data accuracy is essential for every business, more so when it comes to the healthcare field as it greatly impacts patient care. Accurate and error-free medical transcription service is important for patient safety and continuity of care. Any errors in documentation can put the patient’s health at risk and lead to a malpractice suit against the physician. So, let us in this article look into some of the tips for preventing such errors from happening.
The following are some of the best practices to be adopted to minimize the risk of medical transcription errors.
- A professional and experienced team: Make sure to outsource your medical transcription work to a reputed company that is equipped with highly trained and experienced staff to ensure error-free documents.
- Layers of quality check: Upon completion the document should be subject to multiple layers of quality check. A team of proofreaders and editors should thoroughly check the document for errors.
- Latest equipment and software: Using quality transcription equipment and the latest software ensures error-free documentation. It is also important to upgrade the equipment and update the software from time to time.
- Follow a template: Following a standard template will help to avoid errors. Encourage physicians to send in a generic template for the transcripts.
- Hire the experts: Make sure to recruit transcriptionists who have a good grip on grammar, a sound knowledge of current medical terminology and strong analytical skills. These traits will help them to easily catch any errors or inconsistencies in the document.
- Track the feedback: Keeping a track on the feedback from the client will greatly help to educate the team and reduce the risk of transcription errors.
- Gender check: Gender error is one of the grave errors in medical transcription. Having a gender check software can help eliminate such errors.
- Build a team: Make it a practice to assign a specific team of transcriptionists and editors to each client. Working with the same client will keep them aware of the types of errors that are likely to occur in the document, making it easier to correct.
- Choose accuracy over speed: When it comes to medical documentation it is prudent to prioritize accuracy over speed. Hiring skilled medical transcriptionists ensure both accurate and timely documentation.
- Listen before transcribing: Encourage the transcriptionists to listen to the whole audio first. This helps to gain an understanding of the nature of transcription work, thus improving the efficiency of the transcriptionist and speeding up the transcription process.
Fast and error-free medical transcription service is the need of the hour. Partnering with a reliable and reputed medical transcription provider ensures that they adhere to these best practices to provide accurate and timely transcripts.