We live in a digital age, and as the healthcare industry continues to evolve, it becomes increasingly important to take advantage of every tool available for the betterment of clinical practice. The EMR is one such tool. Implementation of EMR in any clinical practice is absolutely essential for improving both productivity and efficiency.
What is EMR?
EMR stands for Electronic Medical Records, a digital version of all the information that you find in a patient’s chart. It gives a complete picture of the patient’s health and includes details like the medical history, tests, diagnosis, and treatment.
The following are some of the amazing benefits of EMR that healthcare providers experience when implemented and optimized properly in any medical practice.
- Saves space: A lot of space is saved by going paperless. There is no need for extra rooms or filing cabinets in the medical practice to store patient files. With EMR storing, managing and retrieving medical records is a breeze.
- No more lost files: Locating a lost or misfiled chart could be a daunting task. With an EMR system implemented in your practice, there is no question of lost or misfiled charts. This in turn helps in optimizing internal operations.
- Reduces costs: Implementation of an EMR system is an excellent way to bring down the overall costs. According to a study published by the American Journal of Medicine adopting the EMR system will lead to a positive return on investment.
- Fast second opinion: Physicians depend on their peers for a second opinion when dealing with challenging situations. In case of paper records they will have to send a copy of the patient information to get an opinion, resulting in delays. With electronic medical record system, getting a second opinion is easier and fast.
- Avoids duplicate tests: As the EMR provides ease of access, physicians will be able to quickly track previous tests and procedures. This reduces the need for any repeats as the test results are already updated in the system. This is critical, particularly in the case of tests that are expensive, uncomfortable and invasive.
- Ease of access: EMR software provides ease of access to patient records with just a single click, which actually helps to analyze medical issues more accurately and on time. It also helps physicians to keep track of the treatment methods, improvement in patient health and much more.
- Prevents medical errors: Electronic medical record software helps to identify drug interactions and allergies quickly. Some drugs can set off allergic reactions in some patients. If the provider prescribes a medication that might trigger an allergic reaction, the EMR system would indicate the problem immediately.
- Additional financial savings: Several studies validate that EMRs can help reduce the occurrence of costly mistakes. As providers can easily access patient information it eliminates the chances of medical errors and billing errors.
- Ability to cope with natural calamities: Natural disasters like floods, wildfires, and hurricanes can destroy patient medical records. In the case of EMR software, data is backed up daily or weekly to an onsite or offsite location. Hence, medical records are protected from damage or loss during a natural disaster.
EMR system is very essential for any medical practice as it improves physician efficiency by providing ease of access to medical records. Well, if you want to run a smoother medical practice, an EMR system is something that you should necessarily have.